Sunday, May 30, 2010

nicholas sparks hatred of lit*


You ever read a book by Nicholas Sparks? If not, here's the formula:

Two main characters' love for each other is greater than that of family, home, duty, career, country; The love typically is not approved by family, society, etc.

One of the lovers dies leaving the other feeling so utterly grateful for having been in love with him or her.

Readers almost always fall in love with these unrealistically "good" characters. Come out of the theater saying things like, "I hope I find love like that one day". Many times they are actually saying it to their date. Some cry, or even facebook about it.

Formula makes for some of the worst films in history...rotten tomato awards to all:
Dear John, Nights in Rodanthe, Walk to Remember, The Notebook. puke, puke, puke, puke.
I'd rather watch footage of the oil spill. May I add, every time I have tried to watch footage of the oil spill I really do puke. I keep trying and every time I have run into the restroom...and, no, I am not pregnant.

*Please note: if Nicholas Sparks inspires reluctant readers, then I guess he's alright with me. Just, please, do not recommend one of his books to me. You're asking for my soapbox. Really. His books are so lame.

Photo taken at the Marshalls yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment